All New Zealand universities hold a copyright licence to help staff efficiently manage copyright. Learn more about the benefits of your Universities Licence here.
If your student course materials include content from books, journals, magazines or newspapers then our licence is here to make your work much easier. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal, magazine or newspaper (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Local and overseas newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy)
How can you share this material with students?
- Handouts, class notes and lecturer compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. student portals)
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, newspapers and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage complicated multiple licences. And no need to remove material because permission to copy can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your university will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers - including many university staff and university press - to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance a predictable fixed cost.
The Universities Licence runs for the period January to December with an update of your EFTS numbers at the beginning of each year.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Under our trial licence extension, include in course materials inter-loaned material obtained from prescribed inter-loan libraries here and overseas. Contact our
for more information.
- Knowledge base freely available for all tertiary staff and students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Our second extract facility permits further copying beyond normal licence restrictions, and full copying of out-of-print works.
- Free training material. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss other training needs.
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base