New Zealand’s ITPs and Wānanga have copyright licences to help staff efficiently manage copyright. Learn more about the benefits of your organisation’s licence.
If your student course materials include content from books, journals, magazines or newspapers then this copyright licence is here to make your work much easier. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
- Overseas and local newspapers (digital and print content)
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Overseas and local newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy)
How can you share this material with students?
- Printed class hand-outs and compiled worksheets
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password-protected class webpages, including learning management and reading list software
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, newspapers and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain re-use permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage large quantities of complicated licences. And no need to remove material because re-use permission can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers - including many ITP teaching staff and publications - to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance into a predictable fixed cost.
The ITP and Wānanga licence runs for the period January to December with an update of your EFTS numbers at the beginning of each year.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Optional participation in our trial license extension to include in course materials obtained from prescribed inter-loan libraries here and overseas. Contact our Business Development Manager for more information.
- Knowledge base freely available for all tertiary staff and students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Our second extract facility permits further copying beyond normal licence restrictions, and full copying of out-of-print works.
- Free training support. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss webinar and live copyright education seminars.
- Free support material for staff participating in data collection exercises.
- Optional implementation of e-reporting avoids the need to carry out periodic data collection.
How does the licence help me?
Lecturers and teaching staff
If you’re a teacher or lecturer the licence lets you focus on delivering a high-quality education to your students while also minimizing your administrative burden, allowing you to spend more of your non-teaching time on research. The licence opens up a world of high-quality published material, without having to obtain, manage, and maintain compliance with permissions from publishers of every item used in your course materials.
If you’re in a compliance administration role, the licence helps you to keep your PTE compliant with its legal obligations. The licence helps by removing a wide range of compliance obligations. It reduces or eliminates altogether risks of teaching staff being sufficiently informed of copyright obligations, correctly obtaining, complying with, correctly recording, and renewing large quantities of individual permissions, as well as budgeting and payment of fees for large quantities of permissions. There’s even a legal indemnification! Copyright Licensing provides a range of education and compliance resources, and support from knowledgeable, responsive staff.
If you’re responsible for making purchasing decisions, the licence provides a comprehensive, well-established, and cost-efficient solution to copyright’s compliance risk and administrative overhead. The licence helps by covering a broad range of copyright material, simple comprehensive terms, with a predictable EFTS-based fee structure.
If you’re a senior decision-maker, the licence provides an effective, low cost compliance solution that lets administrators focus on your organization’s strategic goals. The licence helps through its broad scope and predictable cost structure, mitigating the risk of non-compliance with otherwise complex legal obligations.
What isn't included in the licence?
Copyright applies to published material including books, journals, newspapers, magazines, art and music - even when the copyright symbol © is not displayed. Generally, if your copying falls outside of the guidelines, you need to gain advanced permission from the Rightsholder to copy and share their material.
Our various licences enable organisations that have licensed with us to copy and share much more than is available under the Copyright Act. But there are exclusions to what can be copied, find out more here >>
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base