If your registered charity, not for profit organisation, or association needs a simple, efficient way to maintain compliance with copyright law, these licences are a great fit.
If your staff are copying from books, journals, magazines or overseas newspapers, one of these copyright licences is for you. Depending on what type of organisation you are, we can offer you a Charities Licence, Not for Profit Licence, or an Associations Licence. For less than the cost of one book per staff member, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under these licences.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal, magazine or overseas newspaper (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Overseas newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy)
How can you share this material with staff?
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. staff portals)
- Handouts, briefing notes and staff compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
Simplify your copyright law compliance
These copyright licences provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines and overseas newspapers.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain re-use permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage large quantities of complicated licences. And no need to remove material because re-use permission can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers to continue to produce information you need to train your staff.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of FTES (Full Time Equivalent Staff), making copyright compliance a predictable fixed cost.
The Charities Licence, Not for Profit Licence and Associations Licence can be activated for the first time at any point throughout the year, and are issued for the period January to December. Renewed at the beginning of every year, all you need to do is update us with your staff numbers and we'll take care of the rest.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
These licences are designed to meet the needs of registered charities, not for profit organisations and associations.
- Full copying of out-of-print works in some circumstances.
- Free assistance with your copyright licence enquiries through our help desk.
- Free training support. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss webinar and live copyright education seminars.
What isn't included in these licences?
Copyright applies to published material including books, journals, newspapers, magazines, art and music - even when the copyright symbol © is not displayed. Generally, if your copying falls outside of the provisions of the Copyright Act, you need to gain advanced permission from the Rightsholder to copy and share their material.
Our various licences enable organisations that have licensed with us to copy and share much more than is available under the Copyright Act. But there are exclusions to what can be copied, find out more here >>
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base